Friday, February 3, 2012

I got distracted

I love to play with lots of different kinds of needlework.  I love beads.  I have been a subscriber to Bead and Button for several years now.  I also love math and shapes.  So when Bead and Button put out this free pattern I had to try it.  Please note, you do have to be a registered user of Bead and Button to get to the free pattern. 

For those of you who have done beading in hand, you know that the most annoying part is getting started. Once you have a few rows and something to hold on to, it gets much easier to handle. These beaded beads are made in little triangles. So about the time you get enough beads to hold onto, it is time to start a new triangle.

This picture shows the bead in the middle of assembly.  It is made in 4 different pieces and then they are attached.  The bead really only uses herringbone and peyote.  If you are familiar with these beading stitches and do not get too annoyed with tiny pieces, this is not a hard pattern to follow.  I would not recommend it for a beginning beader.  I would recommend finishing off the tails in all but the center triangle.  I left them because I was not sure which would be better to use for finishing the bead.  It was much harder to tie the ends in later.

The necklace shown in the whole pattern used 13 3-D triangle beads, a beaded cube, gemstone chips, pearls, and glass rondelles.  I know I will not make the necklace as shown.  I will make the cube.  I am thinking of trying it with larger beads.  The pattern calls for 11s.
Beaded triangular bead - made in 4 parts and then attached.
finished bead side view




finished bead top view


No comments:

Post a Comment